That info made it into the DMN yesterday, along with news of Garcia’s resignation.
Several thoughts here:
- This doesn’t necessarily make 20/20’s report any more valid — it’s still a swiss cheese mishmash of mischaracterizations. But, it makes the SPCA’s rebuttal seem less high-minded.
- If 20/20 had really wanted a "gotchya," it was right there waiting for them.
- This calls the SPCA’s judgement in its use of Garcia into question. Can a convicted rapist and kidnapper get a job as dogcatcher? Yes. Should he be positioned as a media darling poster-child for the organization? Probably not.
- Are there no media organizations that make a public records check of article subjects SOP? This should have come out months ago.
- Herein is an object lesson, both in enabling users to report relevant news and in maintaining civil discourse. In the continuation is the email I originally declined to post. I think it is clear that something of this tone can’t just be posted willy-nilly. But, once we’re operational, it’s the kind of thing that becomes a hot lead for a professional reporter to check out. Or better yet, the user posting it provides the proof.
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2005 10:44
To: mikeorren (at) pegasusnews (dot) com
Subject: Why is our local
news not reporting this story?
|Frank David Garcia
Convicted of Kidnapping and Rape of Teenage Girl
On the 29th of October, 1973, Mr. Frank David Garcia was sentenced to 9-12
[Unverified section redacted] GFN hopes and prays you don’t jump off a 100′ (foot) tall
[Unverified section redacted]
Stay calm, Mr. Frank David Garcia, Director of Humane Law Enforcement for the
PS: Don’t bend over while in a prison shower to pick up the proverbial
GFN will have more on this breaking news on our website or our next