Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/joshand1/public_html/wp-content/themes/good/library/functions/core.php on line 27
Losing Finding my religion

No Comments

1. Mark Bauer
    Mark Bauer November 15, 2010 at 11:11 pm . Reply

Great undertaking. I’ll continue checking in to see what you report. In the mean time, can I suggest a place to visit?

The Village Church has a few campuses around the metroplex. If you’re in Dallas, they have one there too. Podcasts available for a ‘preview.’ http://www.thevillagechurch.net

1. Mike Hays
      Mike Hays January 13, 2011 at 6:57 pm . Reply

I second that–the Village is a great place for those that are seeking. Matt Chandler really speaks to the skeptic.

2. Josh
    Josh November 16, 2010 at 12:46 am . Reply

dude I would check out Newspring church’s podcasts on itunes.
    The senior pastor, perry, is legit.

3. J.C. Derrick
    J.C. Derrick November 16, 2010 at 8:54 am . Reply

I enjoyed reading this post, and I look forward to further entries. I know you will (or may have already) grow tired of recommendations, but some of what you wrote here really reminded me of another journalist’s quest for the truth. Lee Strobel (former Chicago Tribune editor)wrote a book titled “The Case for Christ” which I highly recommend.

4. Religion in my media (11/16/10)
    Religion in my media (11/16/10) November 16, 2010 at 12:14 pm .
  5. Jeremy Dunck
    Jeremy Dunck November 16, 2010 at 1:59 pm . Reply

I didn’t know that backstory about Screwtape and Pegasus.

Alex gave me a copy of Mere Christianity — which I haven’t read yet. Honestly, I feel the likelihood that Christianity is the thing I could believe in is fairly low — and that I’ve been more exposed to it than most, so my attention might best be directed elsewhere.

Interesting timing – I’m picking at this scab again, too. I fundamentally believe that our need for greater meaning is tied to our mortality. I have, for a long time, wanted my life to mean something. But wanting it doesn’t make it so. Maybe it’s a foolish thing to want.

So there’s the believing and knowing again.

I’ve read a bit, and honestly, the closest Flying Spaghetti Monster that’s nearest to making sense to me is Buddhism.

There’s Dallas Buddhist center, and they offer Q&A to the curious every Sunday.

I haven’t made it there yet, but it’s on my list.

Another line, for me, is Stoicism:

Basically, I’m skeptical of any new scheme (in the scheme of our whole creation) that tells me it’s all OK, I just have to live by their rules and bow to their leaders. What would convince me? I don’t know. Maybe I never will.

6. bill holston
    bill holston December 1, 2010 at 3:13 pm . Reply

can’t believe I just found this blog, fascinating stuff. I so appreciate your honesty and openness about the journey.

I consider myself a recovering sounthern baptist, been in Bible Churches for many years. I enjoy teaching the Bible, and am a big believer in law ministry. So, its a fit for me.

Influential books for me: Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s Cost of Disipleship on the beatitudes; Orthodoxy by Chesterton, Zacharias’ Jesus among the Other Gods, and Henri Nouwen.

vaya con dios Mike, both on this and on your other quests.

good to know ya,

bill

7. Beliefquest 2011 check-in
    Beliefquest 2011 check-in January 10, 2011 at 11:10 am .